Monday, December 24, 2012

The Pharisee, The Publican, and The Sandy Hook Massacre

Ten days ago, on December 14, 2012, 20 year old Adam Lanza killed his mother. Then he took took three guns and drove his mother's car to the Sandy Hook Elementary School, where he killed 26 more people. Six of those were adult staff members - all females. And twenty were small children, between 6 and 7 years old. And then he killed himself. Those are the facts, as are reported in Wikipedia.

With these facts fresh in your mind, I would like you to take another look at the story our Lord Jesus told about the Pharisee and the Publican:

"And  he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others. Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all I possess. And the publican standing afar off would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased, and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." - Luke 18:9-14


Earlier today I came across something I had written in my diary many years back. It was a quote from a sermon by Rev. Paul Den butter. The sermon was probably preached around the late 1970s or early 1980s. Rev. Den Butter says:

"We are all sitting here, well behaved, cultivated. You are no savages. You are not drug traffickers. You are no murderers, no prostitutes, no pimps. But have you seen what is within your heart? There is the potential for every form of wickedness that has ever been spawned by the wretched nature of humanity. There is no sin imaginable that is not there in your heart. And what wicked man can do, I can do, and you can do. The potential is there, the dynamite is there. It only takes a match and there is an explosion. It was there in David's heart all those years already. The sin of lusting, the sin of committing adultery, the sin of murder."

Recommended reading (my post):

The Roman Road to Salvation