Friday, December 14, 2012

"Be Ye Wise as Serpents, and Harmless as Doves." - Reflections on the Connecticut Shootings

The first thing that came into my mind when I heard about the school shooting in Connecticut  was the 10 hour video, They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll, by Pastor Joe Schimmel (you can see excerpts of this video on You Tube).

This video talks about how rock music promotes and glorifies violence. And from the beginning of this lengthy video, clips from the Columbine Massacre of 1999 are shown, along with a spokesperson from some music awards ceremony saying that "music is a compelling solution to teen violence, but it is certainly not the cause of it." 

I don't know if this 20 year old mass murderer listened to the violent lyrics found in rock music (lyrics like those found in Eminem's I'm Back) Maybe this young man  spent all his time listening to conservative talk radio. Either way, this tragedy is being used by the left to promote gun control (see The Day After: UN Moves Quickly on Global Gun Control Debate).

In a way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't own a gun and have no interest in purchasing a gun. I do believe that the second amendment - the right for Americans to bear arms - is probably the only thing stopping our president and the United Nations from imposing a 'Soviet style' totalitarian regime on this country (to refresh your memory, check out How Many People did Stalin Kill?). But for me personally, I don't really care if the government takes away our right to bear arms.

To me, the second amendment protects the rights of 'non-violent' American citizens to own hunting rifes (to legally kill game that they intend to eat) and hand guns (to protect themselves and their families, especially in the case of someone trying to break into their home).  But the idea that the second amendment protects our right to own automatic weapons and semiautomatic weapons seams a little far fetched.

The Bible says:

"If it is possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord." - Romans 12:18, 19

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." - Matthew 10:16

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you that ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, give him thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh of thee, and from him that would borrow turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemies. But I say unto you love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you. That ye may be the children of your father in heaven." -Matthew 5:38-43

I said the first thought that went through my mind after hearing about this shooting was the video, They Sold their Souls for Rock and Roll. My last thought - at least for today - concerning this shooting, is summed up in the poem:

Now I Sit Me Down in School

Now I sit me down in school, where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God finds mention of him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites, it violates the Bill of Rights
And anytime my head I bow, becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple or orange or green,
That's no offense, it's the freedom scene.

The law is specific; the law is precise
Prayer's spoken out load is a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall might offend someone with no faith at  all.

In silence alone we must meditate, God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks, and pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but first the Bible, to quote the good book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant senior queen, and the unwed daddy our senior king.
It's inappropriate to judge right from wrong, we're told such judgments do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth control, study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the 10 Commandments are not allowed, no Word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess, when chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So Lord this silent prayer I make, Should I be shot my soul please take!

Recommended reading (my post)

Shoot Me First! Remembering Marian Fischer

Also, you may want to check out the following podcast from  Sermonaudio.com:

27 Dead, 18 Children, by Pastor Trevor Hammack
Batman, Movies and Murder, Part I, by Pastor Joey Faust
Batman, Movies and Murder, Part II, by Pastor Joey Faust






How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)