Sunday, December 16, 2012

Dear Jesus: Give Me the Heathen for Christmas in 2012!

The Bible Says:

"Ask of me, and I will give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the world for thy possession." - Psalms 2:8

I wonder how many early American settlers saw in this verse God's promise to give the land we call America to the Christians? I'm sure many did. Maybe some of the people who owned and sold slaves also used this verse to quiet their consciences.  But Psalms 2:8 is not a promise to take someones property (or in the case of slavery, the persons themselves!). Read what 19th century pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon has to say about this verse in his Treasury of David:

"'Ask of me.' It was a custom among great kings, to give to favored ones whatever they might ask. (See Esther 5:6; Matthew 14:7). So Jesus hath but to ask and have. Here he declares that his very enemies are his inheritance. To their face he declares this decree, and 'Lo! here,' cries the Anointed One, as he holds aloft in that once pierced hand the scepter of his power, 'He hath given me this, not only the right to be a king, but the power to conquer.' Yes! Jehovah hath given to his Anointed a rod of iron with which he shall break rebellious nations in pieces, and, despite their imperial strength, they shall be but as potter's vessels, easily dashed into shivers, when the rod of iron is in the hand of the omnipotent Son of God. Those who will not bend must break. Potters' vessels are not to be restored if dashed in pieces, and the ruin of sinners will be hopeless if Jesus shall smite them.
'Ye sinners seek his grace,
Whose wrath ye cannot bear;
Fly to the shelter of his cross,
And find salvation there.'"

I started this web site, My Gospel Project, with the grandiose goal of spreading the gospel of my Lord Jesus to every person on the face of the earth. So far I have had visitors from over 65 countries check out my site. If I could ask one thing for Christmas this year, it would be this: that at least one person from every one of those countries who visited this site, would say, "I can what he is doing," and go on to create their own "Gospel Project," that our Lord Jesus could use to bring the gospel to a lost and perishing world.

May it be so, Lord Jesus!

Recommended reading (my posts):

Welcome to My Gospel Project
The Roman Road to Salvation

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)