Thursday, December 19, 2013

What Would Jesus Think of Singing "Highway to Hell" in Church?

I was thinking about doing a blog post on the rock group AC/DC's song Highway to Hell, and I came across an article about a "praise and worship band" that sang that song in church (See: Highway to Hell and the Regulative Principle). 

Reading this article, and watching the video of this performance in God's house, gave me the creeps. It reminded me of a time when I was in church and the organist decided to play a short intro to one of Black Sabbath's songs. Or another time when a praise and worship band played George Harrison's My Sweet Lord in church (with out the references to Hari Krishna, of course!).

But the song, Highway to Hell, does have some truth behind its godless lyrics. For example, the title is just mirroing what our Lord Jesus says in Matthew 7:13,14:

"Enter ye in at the straight gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to death, and many there be that go therein, because straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there be that find it."

So right off the bat, the title of this song deserves our kudos - the way to hell is a highway, and unfortunately many people are traveling on it.  In addition to the title of this song, some of the lyrics also have a ring of truth to them. For example: "Hey mama, look at me, I'm on my way to the promised land."This is totally scriptural. If you are on the Highway to Hell, and you don't repent and turn to our Lord Jesus Christ in faith, you will get to your destination - hell! That is a promise! The Bible says: "It is appointed unto man once to die, and after that the judgment!" (Hebrews 9:27).

Recommended videos:

They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll, Part 12, 3, 4 (or you can purchase this 10 hour video by going to Good Fight Ministries)

Recommended reading for those traveling down the Highway to Hell (my posts):

Heaven Has A Floor, and Hell Has a Clock
The Roman Road to Salvation

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)