Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day from My Gospel Project!

Debbie Schlussel: I Wish I'd Done This With My Late Dad; But Maybe You Still Can

Excerpt from this article:

"When my late father was dying of cancer, he kept it a secret from us as long as possible. He said it was because he didn’t want us to mourn him in his last days while he was still alive and wanted to live out his life with us. But I wish I’d done something that USA Today tech columnist Jefferson Graham did do. He videotaped his father in an interview, and now he has that for posterity. He calls it a priceless gift, and he is absolutely right. Even though my dad’s been gone almost seven years, every day I have questions I wish I would have asked him." 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Both my parents passed away many years ago. I suppose it would have been nice to sit down with them before their death and "interview" them, as Debbie Schlussel recommends. I can think of a lot of questions I'd like to ask them today that would never have even entered my mind back when they were alive.

But if I could only ask them one question, it would be this: Mom, Dad, what do you think of Jesus? And if my kids were to ask me that question, I would respond the same way I did when I joined the Christian Reformed Church back in the early 1980s: "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

Recommended sermon:

Compel Them to Come In, by Charles Spurgeon

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)