Sunday, December 5, 2021

Today in History - December 6

1648 - Colonel Thomas Pride of the New Model Army purges the Long Parliament of MPs sympathetic to King Charles I of England, in order for the King's trial to go ahead, came to be known as "Pride's Purge."  (Source)

I think it was Oliver Cromwell who said:

"You need not hope in order to undertake, and you need not succeed in order to persevere." The following sermons and podcasts are on Oliver Cromwell and the English Civil War:

Oliver Cromwell: Saint, Soldier, Statesmen, by Dr. Alan Cairns (Text: Hebrews 8)
Oliver Cromwell, by Dr. Peter Hammond
Oliver Cromwell Lord Protector of England, by Rev. Ian Goligher (Text: 1 Samuel 18:12)

1889 - Jefferson Davis, American general and politician, President of the Confederate States of America  (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

1922 - One year to the day after the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State comes into existence (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

History of the Irish Presbyterian Church, by Rev. Gordon Dane

2017 - Donald Trump administration officially announces the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Are Christians Dividing Over Trump? Never Trumpers, Forever Trumpers, by Pastor Kevin Swanson

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)