Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Don't let Jesus Pass You By

I have been a Calvinist for over 30 years (see my post Calvinism Refuted - And Defended!).  One of the ministers I listened to in those early years of my Christian life was Rev. Paul Den Butter. I have posted several links to his sermons on this web site, and you may wish to check out his sermon on Total Depravity before you retire for the evening.

Recently, I have been going over a diary that I have kept for a number of years, and I stumbled on some of the notes I took from Rev. Den Butter's sermons. Some of those notes I incorporated into my recent post: The Pharisee, The Publican, and the Sandy Hook Massacre.  Below is yet another excerpt from a sermon I heard by Rev. Den Butter in the early 1980s:


"Jesus of Nazareth passes by. Don't let this opportunity slip. Why should you do it? Why should you run the risk to be lost in the place of the damned? What is so valuable in life, that you would put your soul in jeopardy? Can I not persuade you? Can I not convince you that there must be a calling upon the Lord? Remember, if we fail to make use of God's offer of grace, we will regret it throughout all the ages of eternity. And there are many at this very same moment that weep and cry and wail because of their lost condition. Jesus passed by and they did not cry. And now they cry, but they are lost, and why are they lost? Not because of any unwillingness on the part of Jesus to save them. But because Jesus passed by, and they did not cry out to him!” 

That's calvinism! And Calvinism is just another word for the Gospel!

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)