Monday, November 20, 2017

Hymn for Monday, November 20, 2017

To God Be the Glory

This hymn was one of 9,000 hymns  written by Fanny Crosby (1820-1915). She became blind shortly after birth (See Fanny Crosby: Prolific and Blind Hymn Writer). Someone said to her that it was a shame God did not grant her sight, seeing he gave her so many other gifts. Fanny Crosby replied:

" "Do you know that if at birth I had been able to make one petition, it would have been that I was born blind?" said the poet, who had been able to see only for her first six weeks of life. 'Because when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior.'"

She wrote her first verse at age 8:

"Oh, what a happy soul I am,
although I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't,
To weep and sigh because I'm blind
I cannot, and I won't!"

I'm looking forward to meeting Fanny Crosby one day!

Recommended reading & hymnbooks:


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)