Saturday, December 22, 2018

Religion Without Regeneration: John Wesley's Testimony

Religion Without Regeneration: John Wesley's Testimony, by Rev. Ian Brown

The text for this sermon is Matthew 7:21-23:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
(Taken from https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

The following quote about John Wesley has been attributed to Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892):

"Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him, that while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself, I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitfield and John Wesley. the character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one of whom the world was not worthy." (Source)

Recommended reading:

361354: Susanna Wesley: Her Remarkable Life Susanna Wesley: Her Remarkable Life
By Ray Comfort & Trisha Ramos / Bridge-Logos Publishing


The life of Susanna Wesley (1669-1742) is both intriguing and illuminating to explore. This book presents her life in ways that will astound the modern reader. Susanna and her husband, Samuel, had nineteen children, ten of whom survived to adulthood. Her son Charles became a well-known hymn writer and her son John became the founder of Methodism.
Ray Comfort and Trisha Ramos quote from Susanna's many letters and other sources to reveal a true woman of faith, who strongly endured the trials of life. Susanna Wesley: Her Remarkable Life gives readers a generous glimpse into the life of this exemplary wife and mother.

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)