Friday, July 15, 2016

America Wastes About Half the Food That it Produces While Hunger Runs Rampant Around the Globe

America Wastes About Half the Food That it Produces While Hunger Runs Rampant Around the Globe - theeconomiccollapseblog.com

Excerpt from this article:

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, close to a third of all food in the United States gets wasted after it gets to the store.  This is commonly referred to as 'downstream' waste.  When you add all of this 'downstream' waste up, it comes to a grand total of 133 billion pounds of food each year…"
--------------------------

I've spent a good part of my life working in and around the food industry. I've seen countless thousands of pounds of product thrown away - not nessasarily because it was bad or contaminated - but because it was not good enough to be fed to Americans.

American farmers and food processors have to meet very strict standards in order to sell to the public. And that's a good thing. But still, every time I see some food thrown away I ask myself , "If I was hungry, would I eat that?" Usually the answer is "YES!"

The Bible says:

"The righteous considereth the cause of the poor, but the wicked regardeth not to know it." - Proverbs 29:7

Recommended websites:

Freedom From Hunger
Food For the Poor
Worldhunger.org
Samaritan's Purse

Recommended reading:

Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving from Affluence to Generosity, by Ronald Sider
Productive Christians In An Age of Guilt Manipulators - A Biblical Response To Ronald J. Sider, by David Chilton 
46 Million Americans Go To Food Bank, And Long Line For Dwindling Food Supplies Begin At 6 AM - theeconomiccollapseblog.com





How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)