Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Buy a Cheap Coffin - Don't Be Ripped Off at a Vulnerable Time

Buy a Cheap Coffin - Don't Be Ripped Off at a Vulnerable Time - lewrockwell.com

Excerpt from this article:

"There are companies that sell pine casket kits. These are called Orthodox Jewish pine caskets and also green caskets, depending on the market. I prefer to think of them as dirt-cheap Gentile caskets. A casket makes a statement. This is my statement. I recommend it to you.
'How much did he leave behind?'  'All of it!'"
-------------------------------------------------------------

"When you attend a funeral
It is sad to think that sooner or
Later those you love will do the same for you
And you  may have thought it tragic
Not to mention other adjectives
To think of all the weeping they will do
but don't you worry..."
--We Will All Go Together When We Go - Tom Lehrer

Funerals are for the living, not for the dead! Years ago I used to work in a nursing home and then later in a hospital. One of my duties was to "prepare" residents who had died to be picked up by the funeral home.

I recall one man in particular - I believe I will see him in heaven one day - he was in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's when I met him. Part of my job was to help residents like him brush their teeth. For the first several months of working in that nursing home I was too Squamish to brush his teeth - and then he died.

Now my job was to get him ready for the funeral director to pick him up. And part of that job included brushing his teeth - something I had been able to avoid up till that point. So as I'm forcing myself to brush the teeth of this dead man - yes, this dead brother in the Lord Jesus - I'm thinking to myself "I'm sure he really appreciates this now!"

The Bible says:

"As it is appointed unto men once to die, and after that the judgment." - Hebrews 9:27

"For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his soul? Or what shall  a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ to receive the things done in our bodies whether they be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord we persuade men..." - 2 Corinthians 5:10,11

Recommended sermons:

How To Benefit From A Funeral,  by Dr. David P. Murray
Serious Preaching In A Comedy Culture, by Dr. David P. Murray

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)