Monday, July 4, 2016

'Honor' Killings Grow More Brutal, Draw Backlash

'Honor' Killings Grow More Brutal, Draw Backlash - washingtonpost.com

Excerpt from this article:

"LAHORE, Pakistan — Parveen Rafiq screamed from her rooftop, 'I have killed my daughter. I have saved my honor. She will never shame me again.' In the room below lay the charred body of 18-year-old Zeenat. Neighbors in the narrow alley who saw the smoke and heard screams rushed to Rafiq’s home, but the door was bolted from within. Zeenat was dead. Her mother had choked her, and while the girl was still alive she doused with kerosene and set her on fire. Zeenat’s crime was to marry a childhood friend she loved, defying her widowed mother’s pressure for an arranged marriage and, in the mind of her mother and many of her neighbors, tarnishing her family’s honor."
----------------------------------------------

This sad story brings back memories of a video I watched in 8th grade Social Studies called The Lottery (part 1 and part 2).  For a commentary on this bizarre video, see: Understanding: The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson

Recommended reading:

What to Do if You Suspect a Child is Being Sexually Abused
Malaysia Legislator: Banning Child Marriage Will Lead Girls to Seek Casual Sex [Alternative Headline: Banning Child Rape by Adults Will Lead Girls to Seek Casual Sex...with Boys!]

Recommended podcast:

Honor Killing, by Charles Lawson

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)