Friday, June 21, 2019

Growing Push to Destroy the Beef Industry

Growing Push to Destroy the Beef Industry - Jim Schneider of Crosstalk America interviews Tom Deweese of American Policy Center
----------------------------------------------

I just want to say "Thanks!" to Jim Schneider, his guest Tom Deweese, and the men and women who took the time to call Crosstalk America. This was a great program and I was in total agreement with everything that was said. I'm very pro-farmer and anti, well...read my blog!

But I do have a couple of comments on this particular show. I grew up on a dairy farm and worked for over 13 years on dairy farms after high school. I've worked for a shorter period of time in a packing house (slaughterhouse). The one I worked in was much smaller than the "Big 4" they mentioned on this show. We slaughtered about 200 cows a day.

My only objection to this program today was they tended to portray all farmers as good guys, and all environmentalists as bad guys. In the real world, not all farmers are good guys, and there might be one or two environmentalists who are not bad guys.

I've seen many cows sent to slaughterhouses that probably should have been sent to rendering plants instead. Farmers will tell you that the decision of which cows get sent to the slaughterhouse is purely an economic one - and they're right. Often it's a matter of choosing not to throw good money - in the form of antibiotics and other drugs - after a bad (aka sick!) cow.

And so the farmer will wait however many days necessary for the drugs to get out of the cow's system and then send them to the packing house so they can get turned into food that people eat.

I've never personally seen it done, but I've heard of other farmers and herdsman who will give mega-doses of aspirin or steroids to a cow just prior to shipping it to hopefully lower a high temperature long enough to get passed the inspector at the packing house.

And I remember growing up my mother would tell me about a veterinarian who went to her church. He worked as an inspector in a packing house, and the farmers hated him so much they started a petition to try to get him fired. He was too stirct., they said!

Anyway, this is a great program and I highly recommend it!

For further research on this topic...

Bill Gates Says Cow Farts Are One of the Biggest Problems - cnn.com
Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortez: 'What We Need to Do is Have a Serious Conversation' About Cow Flatulence - cnsnews.com

Someone responded to AOC's 'Cow Flatulence' comment in this way:

"If we can't seriously discuss cow farts, how will [we] ever be able to seriously discuss the issues surrounding Uranus?" (Source)

Recommended reading:


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)