Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Best of The Daily Spurgeon

On of the longest running features that I have on this site is called The Daily Spurgeon. This is just my collection of quotes by the 19th century Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon. Many of these quotes I have gotten from other sites on the web (and I have tried to give my sources for these quotes).

I also have gleaned many quotes from Spurgeon's Sermon Notes, Iain H. Murray's The Forgotten Spurgeon, as well as from several of his sermons as well. Below is a collection of what I consider some of his best quotes that I have posted on this site (Along with an occasional comment from myself!): (Note: you can listen to an audio version of The Forgotten Spurgeon on Sermonaudio).

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Of a certain preacher it was said: He preaches as if Jesus were at his side. Don't you see how every now and then he turns around as if he were saying, 'Lord Jesus, what shall I say next?'" (From Spurgeon's Sermon Notes, posted on September 20, 2013)

My comment: While I'm not a minister (never been one, never will be one!), I like to think of my Lord Jesus sitting next to me as I blog, so I can look over to him from time to time and say, "Lord Jesus, what should I blog about next?"

Pastor Spurgeon:

"...he made hundreds of thousands of dollars - and gave it all away. Redpath offered him one hundred thousand dollars for one hundred lectures in America. Spurgeon responded, 'No, I am a minister and have never lectured for money." (posted on September 19, 2013)'"

My comment: I posted a link to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Laodiceans along with this quote.

Pastor Spurgeon:

"'What?' you say. 'Can God make me become a Christian?' I tell you, yes, for herein lies the power of the gospel. It does not ask your consent, but it gets it. It does not say, 'Will you have it?' but it makes you willing in the day of God's power...The gospel wants not your consent; it gets it. It knocks the enmity out of your heart. He makes your will turn around, and then you cry, 'Lord, save, or I perish.' 'Ah,' might heaven say, 'I knew I would make you say that!'" (posted on October 1, 2013)

My Comment:

Check out my posts: Calvinism Refuted - And Defended!The Five Points of Calvinism; and Spurgeon Takes on the Hyper-Calvinists!

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Except the Holy Ghost illumine us, all the suns in the Milky Way never will."

Pastor Spurgeon:

"The Divine nature, the filiation of the Son of God, the complex person of Jesus, the procession of the Holy Ghost, and so forth, are not so much to be understood as to be believed."(Source: Spurgeon's Sermon Notes)

Pastor Spurgeon:"Scripture says, 'Owe no man anything,' which does not mean 'pay your debts,' but never have any to pay.'"

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Our sons and daughters are not likely to be saved in a desolate church.” - Spurgeon's Sermon Notes

Pastor Spurgeon:

"If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms around their knees, imploring them to stay. If hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for." (posted on December 26, 2012)

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Satan must have thought much of Martin Luther. 'I could ride the world over,' says he, 'if it were not for that monk. He stands in my way. That strong headed man hates and mauls my first born son, the pope. If I could get rid of him I wouldn't mind though 50,000 smaller saints stood in my way." (posted on December 13, 2013; from Spurgeon's sermon Satan Considering the Saints)


Pastor Spurgeon:

"Moreover, if Satan cannot destroy a Christian, how often has he spoilt his usefulness? Many a believer has fallen, not to break his neck - that is impossible - but he has broken some important bone and he has gone limping to the grave." (posted on December 12, 2012; from Spurgeon's sermon Satan Considering the Saints)

Pastor Spurgeon:

"The way to stronger faith usually lies along the rough road of sorrow. Affliction is the best piece of furniture in my house, it is the best book in the minster's library." (posted on December 10, 2012)

Pastor Spurgeon:

"That old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach today, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again." (posted on March 30, 2013; from Iain Murray's The Forgotten Spurgeon)

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Better to have been a devil than a preacher playing fast and loose with God's Word, and by such means working out the ruin of the souls of men...It will be the height of my ambition to be clear of the blood of all men. If, like George Fox, I can say in dying, 'I'm am clear. I'm am clear' that were almost all the heaven I could wish for." (posted on March 27, 2013; from Iain Murray's The Forgotten Spurgeon

Pastor Spurgeon:

"Christ is meek, as opposed to the ferocity and bigotry of zealots. Take for example the false prophet Muhammad. The strength of his cause lies in the fact that he is not meek. He presents himself  before those he claims as disciples and says: 'Take my yolk upon you and learn of me, for I am neither meek nor lowly in heart; I will have no patience with you; there is my creed, or there is the scimitar. Death or conversion, whichever you please."

Pastor Spurgeon:

"We admire a man who was firm in the faith, say four hundred years ago...but such a man today is a nuisance, and must be put down. Call him a narrow minded bigot or give him a worse name, if you can think of one.
"Yet imagine that in those ages past Luther, Zwingli, Calvin and their compeers had said, 'The world is out of order,  but if we try to get it right we shall only make a great row, and get ourselves into disgrace. Let us go to our chambers, put on our night caps, and sleep over the bad times, and perhaps when we wake up things will have grown better.'
"Such conduct on their part would have entailed upon us a heritage of error. Age after age would have
gone down into the infernal deeps, and the pestiferous bogs of error would have swallowed all. These men loved the faith and the love of Jesus too well to see them trampled on.
"It is today as it was in the Reformer's days. Decision is needed. Here is the day for the man, where is the man for the day? We who have had the gospel passed to us by martyr hands dare not trifle with it, nor sit by and hear it denied by traitors, who pretend to love it but inwardly abhor every line of it...look you, sirs, there are ages yet to come.
"If the Lord does not speedily appear, there will come another generation, and another, and all those generations will be tainted and injured if we are not faithful to God and to his truth today. We have come to a turning point in the road. If we turn to the right, mayhap our children and our children's children will go that way. But if we turn to the left, generations yet unborn will curse our names for having been unfaithful to God and to his Word."


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)