Friday, March 6, 2015

Scholars Discover Charles Spurgeon's Psalter

Scholars Discover Charles Spurgeon's Psalter - christiannews.net

Excerpt from this article:

"Scholars at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary have discovered, within the institution’s Spurgeon Library collection, a Psalter that 19th-century Baptist pastor Charles Spurgeon used in the compilation of his commentary on the book of Psalms, 'The Treasury of David.' 'One of the purposes for the existence of the Spurgeon Library at Midwestern Seminary is to advance the Gospel of Jesus Christ..."
----------------------------------------------

I think Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) would have been happier had they found an old copy of his A Defense Of Calvinism.  Spurgeon writes:

"The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."


Elsewhere he writes:

"I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else." (Source)

Recommended sermons by Charles Spurgeon:

Compel Them To Come In
Turn Or Burn!

Recommended book on Charles Spurgeon:

The Forgotten Spurgeon, by Iain H. Murray

Recommended book on Calvinism:

The Five Points Of Calvinism, by Herman C. Hanko

Recommended sermons on Calvinism:

Eternal Decree of Election, by Rev. Cornelis Pronk:
The Doctrine of Reprobation, by Rev. Cornelis Pronk:
Objections to Election Answered, by Rev. Cornelis Pronk:
The Doctrine of Total Depravity, by Rev. Paul Den Butter

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)