Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Calvinism Refuted - and Defended!

It is good to know both sides of an issue. While I have been a Calvinist for over 30 years, I know that I will see many of my  non-Calvinist brothers and sisters in heaven.  And at that time our Lord Jesus will  answer all of our questions. But for now, why don't you take some time to catch up on the Calvinism/non-Calvinism debate.  Here are a couple of resources for you to check out:

Refuting Calvinism, by Jim Ollis

And my post, The Five Points of Calvinism (you may want to begin with the sermons on The Eternal Decree of Election, Objections to Election,  and Reprobation, by Rev. Cornelis Pronk and the sermon on Total Depravity by Rev. Paul Den Butter)

The greatest Calvinist since the Apostle Paul was not John Calvin, it was Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834 - 1892).

"'The following quotes are from Pastor Spurgeon's sermon, Compel them to come in:

"My brother, I entreat you, I entreat you to stop and consider. Do you know what it is you are rejecting this morning? You are rejecting Christ, your only Savior. 'Other foundation can no man lay;' 'there is none other name given among men whereby we must be saved.' My brother, I cannot bear that ye should do this, for I remember what you are forgetting: the day is coming when you will want a Savior. It is not long e'er weary months shall have ended, and your strength begin to decline; your pulse shall fail you, your strength shall depart, and you and the grim monster - death, must face each other.

"What will you do in the swellings of Jordan without a Savior? Death beds are stony things without our Lord Jesus Christ. It is an awful thing to die anyhow. He that hath the best hope and the most triumphant faith, finds that death is not a thing to laugh at. It is a terrible thing to pass from the seen to the unseen, from the mortal to the immortal, from time to eternity, and you will find it hard to go through the iron gates of death without the sweet wings of angels to carry you to portals in the sky. It will be a hard thing to die without Christ.

"I cannot help thinking of you. I see you acting the suicide this morning, and I picture myself standing at your bedside and hearing your cries and knowing that you are dying without hope. I cannot bear that. I think I am standing by your coffin now, and looking into your clay cold face, and saying, 'This man despised Christ, and neglected the great salvation.' I think what bitter tears I shall weep then, if I think that I have been unfaithful to you, and how those eye fast closed in death, shall seam to chide me and say, 'Minister, I attended the music hall, but you were not in earnest with me; you amused me, you preached to me, but you did not plead with me. You did not know what Paul meant when he said, 'As though God did beseech you by us, we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.'...

"I picture myself standing at the bar of God. As the Lord liveth, the day of judgement is coming...I see you standing in the midst of that throng, and the eye of God is fixed on you.  It seams to you that he is not looking  anywhere else, but only upon you, and he summons you before him, and he reads your sins and he cries, 'Depart ye cursed into everlasting fire in hell!' ...

"But did I hear you whisper that this is not a convenient time? Then what must I say to you? When will that convenient time come? Shall it come when you're in hell? Will that time be convenient for you?...

"Remember, I have no authority to ask you to come to Christ tomorrow. The Master has given you no invitation to come to him next Tuesday. The invitation is 'Today, if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.'

Now that's Calvinism!

Recommended reading (my recent post):

Is It Time To Label The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) A Cult?

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)