Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Is it Time to Label the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) A Cult?

Many years ago I read an article by Dr. Lester Dekoster, one of the former editors of The Banner, in which he made the statement: "Billy Graham is going to have to give an account to God for all of the keys to the kingdom he has handed out over the years."

What Dr. Dekoster meant was that Billy Graham has led millions and millions of people into believing they were 'born again,' and thus on their way to heaven, when in fact, many of his converts will eventually wind up in hell.  The Bible says:

"But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand..."When I say to the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand." (Ezekiel 33:6,8)

Dr. Dekoster's words caused a 'crack' in my belief in Billy Graham and his ministry. That 'crack' widened years later when I learned that Billy Graham was quoted as saying:

"I've found that my beliefs are essentially the same as those of orthodox Roman Catholics." (Billy Graham and Rome).

But that crack burst wide open today when I listened to Pastor Sean E. Harris' podcast Franklin Graham: Mormonism Will Never Be Labeled a 'Cult' Again.

This podcast is in response to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's decision to remove 'Mormonism' from their list of cults on their website.

Because My Gospel Project is dedicated to spreading the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth, I have been compeled to list Mormonism as a cult on this site. And I won't be taking it off. But now, I have added the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association to my list of cults as well (see My Gospel Project/Cults/Billy Graham Evangelistic Association)

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)