Sunday, August 25, 2013

Why Christians Make Miserable Addicts

I have a confession to make: I don't always read every book or article that I recommend on this site. (This is especially true of my "Today in the News" feature). But I read every word of Heather Kopp's article Why Christians Make Miserable Addicts, published July 2, 2013 in the Huffington Post. In fact, I liked it so much I read it four times! I heartily recommend this article.

Like so many others in our society - Christians and non-Christians alike - I have my own struggles with addictions. Someone described addiction this way: "Imagine trying to live without air. Now imagine something worse!" (Source). I can relate to that. I can also relate to Heather Kopp's story. She says:

"As new creations in Christ we're supposed to have been set free from the power of sin, right? So to even admit that we have become addicted feels like a betrayal of Christ's work on the cross. Or worse, living proof that it didn't work."

She goes on to tell of being in treatment for alcoholism and hearing an addiction counselor say: "We're not bad people getting good, we're sick people getting well."

Ms. Kopp raised her hand and said: "But we can't become alcoholic unless we drink so isn't calling it a sickness or a disease just an excuse?" The counselor responded  by giving the analogy of a person who has lung cancer (after years of smoking cigarettes) or diabetes (after years of overeating). Yes the smoking and the overeating are sinful acts. But the lung cancer and the diabetes are medical conditions - diseases if you will - that need to be treated by a doctor.

But here is where the analogy breaks down. Addictions cause pain - tremendous pain. For the non-Christian addict (very generally speaking), their first concern is stopping the pain. They may feel a lot of guilt, but it is because of the harm they have done to others (family and friends, co-workers, themselves, etc).

The Christian addict knows (or should know!) that their biggest problem is not the pain they feel because of their addictive behavior. Their biggest problem is the fact that they have sinned against a Holy God. King David talked about this after committing adultery with Bathsheba, having her husband murdered to cover up his sin, and hiding his sin for a year: "Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned and done this evil in Thy sight." (Psalms 51:4).

And far from comforting themselves with the idea that they have a disease, the Christian addict sees their addiction as a big red flag telling them that their soul is in imminent danger. The Bible says:

"His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the chords of his sins." - (Proverbs 5:22)

I agree with Heather Kopp when she says:

"I'm not saying that prayer and repentance are never sufficient, or that God can't miraculously deliver an alcoholic to permanent sobriety. But taken alone, the label -- sin -- can keep people from reaching out for the kind of help they need."

I used to work in a hospital. One day while working on the psych ward, I saw a poem posted on the wall which I think every true addict can relate to. The title of the poem is Miss Heroin (although you can substitute heroin with your own addiction!):

Miss Heroin

"So now little man you've grown tired of grass
LSD, acid, cocaine and hash.
Then someone pretending to be a true friend,
Said, 'I'll introduced you to Miss Heroin.'

"Well, honey, before you start fooling with me,
Just let me inform you of how it will be.

"For I will seduce you and make you my slave,
I've sent men much stronger than you to their grave.
You think you could never become a disgrace,
And wind up addicted to poppy seed waste?

"You'll start inhaling me one afternoon,
You'll take me into your arms very soon.
And once I've entered deep down in your veins,
The craving will nearly drive you insane.

"You'll swindle your mother and just for a buck,
You'll turn into something vile and corrupt.
You'll mug and you'll steal for my narcotic charm,
And feel contentment when I'm in your arms.

"The day when you realize the monster you've grown,
You'll solomnly promise to leave me alone.
If you think you've got the mystical knack,
Then sweetie, just try getting me off your back!

"The vomit, the cramps, your gut tied in knots,
The jangling nerves screaming for just one more shot.
The hot chills, the cold sweats, the withdrawal pains,
Can only be cured with my little white grains.

"There's no other way, there's no need to look,
For deep down inside you will know you are hooked.
You'll desperately run to your pusher, and then
You'll welcome me back to your arm once again.

"And when you return, just as I foretold,
I know that you'll give me your body and soul.
You'll give up your morals, your conscience, your heart,
And you will be mine until death do us part."
Source (here) and (here)

Recommended sermon:

When Government Tries to Be God, by Dr. David P. Murray

Recommended gospel hymns:

Please Search the Book Again, Mckenzie George & Bruce Willey
How Deep the Father's Love For Us, Sung by Joy Williams

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)