Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams, RIP? Reality, What a Concept!

I might have also titled this post: "Reality Bites!"

According to Foxnews.com:

"ACADEMY AWARD-WINNING actor and comedian Robin Williams, 63, found dead in apparent suicide, the Marin County Sheriff's Office says..." (from: Tragic and Sudden Loss: Robin Williams Dead at 63 in Apparent Suicide)
--------------------------------------------------

I grew up with Robin Williams. Well, OK, I've never met him, but I remember watching every episode of
Mork and Mindy. I remember watching Good Morning Vietnam when it came out, as well as

Mrs. Doubtfire and the Dead Poet's Society. And I even remember his stand up routine: Reality, What a Concept! (here is a link from Foxnews.com on some of Robin Williams greatest hits:

A Look Back at Some of Robin William's Greatest Hits

It's always sad when someone dies. As I get older I find myself spending more and more time reading the obituaries in the local paper. I read them because I am interested  in what they did in this life, whether they went to college or served in the military. What their greatest achievements were. But one of the first things I look for when reading an obituary is this: Were they a Christian?

Here are 2 great sermons that I'd like to recommend to those grieving the loss of one of Americas greatest comedians:

Serious Preaching in a Comedy Culture, by Dr. David P. Murray
How to Benefit from a Funeral, by Dr. David P. Murray
Some Personal Thoughts About Depression and Suicide, by Rodney Queen

The Bible says:

"What is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26

Recommended reading and viewing:
Robin Williams Wished Israel a Happy 60th  Birthday [video] - debbieschlussel.com


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)