Saturday, June 23, 2018

I Can Only Imagine! A Movie Reivew

I just watched the movie, I Can Only Imagine. I liked it. The movie is about the life experience of 
Bart Millard, leader of the band MercyMe. This movie is especially about the pain Mr. Millard experienced growing up with an abusive father. And how that pain led to Mr. Millard writing the Song, I Can Only Imagine.

Before I start my review, me encourage you to listen to Pastor Kevin Swanson's podcast in relation to this movie:

Christian Films Dominating Box Office - Is This the Medium For Christians? by Pastor Kevin Swanson

Now for my review:

One of the most gripping scenes in the movie is when Bart Millard confronts his father about the horrible abuse he lived with as a child. His father wants to make things right and asks his son for forgiveness. "You forgive others, can't you forgive me," he father asks. Bart Millard responds: "Maybe God can forgive you. I can't."

The movie does have a happy ending. Both father and son are eventually reconciled and Bart Millard even leads his father to our Lord Jesus before his father dies.  And while it is a good movie with a good message and a happy ending, I have to believe there will be a lot of people watching - thousands, perhaps millions - who haven't reached that happy ending yet. And many never will. 

According to The Numbers, I Can Only Imagine has brought in $85 million at the Box Office. Here is what this website has to say:

"The true story behind MercyMe's beloved song I Can Only Imagine, which has brought hope to millions." 

I think some Christians might find that sentence disturbing. It is a fact that our Lord Jesus spoke far more about hell than he did about heaven. And we should all take his warning seriously that there will be many - yes, Jesus says many! - who will stand before him on Judgement Day fully expecting to enter heaven - only to hear King Jesus say, "I never knew you. Depart from me, ye that work iniquity." - Matthew 7:21-23 (Audio). Read it for yourself:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." - Matthew 7:21-23 (Audio):

Here is a sermon on this somber passage of Holy Scripture:

Religion Without Regeneration: John Wesley's Testimony, by Rev. Ian Brown

Another problem I have with this movie is the mixed message it gives on domestic/child abuse. The movie begins with Bart Millard growing up with a physically and emotionally abusive father. His mother gets fed up with the abuse and takes off - leaving young Bart to fend for himself against his monster-father.

And while this movie does have a happy ending, I wish it had a clearer message that abuse does not have to be tolerated. If that means someone needs to make a call to 911, or tell a teacher or a pastor or even walk down to the local police station - child abuse needs to stop! 

One more brief comments in relation to this movie: There is some controversy among Christians when it comes to what has been called Contemporary Christian Music, or CCM for short. To find out more about this, check out the following sermons and podcasts:

When David Wilkerson Cried "Ichabod!" - The Commercialization of CCM, by Pastor Kevin Swanson
Why CCM Embraces LGBT, by Pastor Kevin Boling
CCM - The Devil's Device, by Pastor Stephen Hamilton [Text: Colossians 3:16-17]

Recommended reading:

What to Do if You Suspect a Child is Being Sexually Abused

Melania Trump: 'Era of Allowing Brutality Against Women and Children is Over'

Recommended poems:

The Devil's Vision

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)