Monday, May 27, 2019

Today in History - May 27

1199: King John is  crowned King of England  (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Magna Charta, Law/Order, and the Local Sheriff, by Geoffrey Botkin
Blessing the Nation: Magna Carta 800, by Peter Hammond
Magna Carta, Blackstone, Mayflower Compact, Part 1, by Mark Liddle
Magna Carta, Blackstone, Mayflower Compact, Part 2, by Mark Liddle

Note: The following sermon by Dr. David P. Murray is not about the Magna Carta, but it is the best sermon I know that tells of the Christian's responsibility to the government (at all levels):

When Government Tries to Be God, by Dr. David P. Murray

1933: The Walt Disney Company releases the cartoon Three Little Pigs, with its hit song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Disney Turns Snow White Into a Lesbian, by Pastor Kevin Swanson (2016)

Recommended sermon:

Should Christians Watch Movies? by Dr. David P. Murray

 [Note: The text for this sermon is Revelation 18:4 (Audio):

"And I heard another voice from heaven saying, Come out of her, my people, my people, that ye be not partaker of her sins, and that ye share not in her plagues."

1998: Oklahoma City bombing: Michael Fortier is sentenced to 12 years in prison and fined $200,000 for failing to warn authorities about the terrorist plot (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

In 2001 Timothy McVeigh was executed for his part in the Oklahoma City bombing (aka murders, terrorist attack). His last words before going to meet our Lord Jesus was "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." (Taken from the poem, Invictus).  I'm guessing by now he regrets using his last breath for such self-centred nonsense. How much better if he had said something like the thief on the Cross, "Lord Remember me," or the publican, "God be merciful to me, a sinner."

The following website compares the ridiculous poem Invictus with its Christian counterpart:

Invictus and My Captain

Recommended reading:

Oklahoma Governor Signs Law Banning Ban on Plastic Bags - thehill.com

Recommended songs:

Oklahoma
Take Me Home Country Roads (Oklahoma version!)

2016: Barack Obama is the first president of the United States to visit Hiroshima Peace MemorialPark and meet Hibakusha (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Hiroshima, Scorched Earth, and Nuclear Warfare - Why We Don't Kill Women and Children, by Pastor Kevin Swanson
Were the Atom Bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki Justified? by Peter Hammond
Just War Theory, Pearl Harbor, and the Second World War, by Bill Potter

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)