Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Today in History - May 28, 2019

1525 - Aztec king Cuauhtemoc is executed on the order of conquistador Hernan Cortes (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Church History: Christianity in Latin America,  by Matt Powell 

1700 - Today is followed by March 1 in Sweden, thus creating the Swedish calendar (Source)

Recommended videos:

I Enjoy Being a Swede!
Amazing Grace in English and Swedish


1784 - John Wesley charters the Methodist Church (Source)

Recommended sermon:

Religion Without Regeneration: John Wesley's Testimony, by Rev. Ian Brown

The text for this sermon is Matthew 7:21-23:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
(Taken from https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

The following quote about John Wesley has been attributed to Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892):

"Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him, that while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself, I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitfield and John Wesley. the character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one of whom the world was not worthy." (Source)

1953  - James Watson and Francis Crick announce to friends that they have determined the chemical structure of DNA (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

A Christian Looks at Science: From Moses to Crick, #1, by Dr. Charles Hatfield
A Christian Looks at Science: From Moses to Crick, #2, by Dr. Charles Hatfield
The Junk DNA Myth Takes a Well-Deserved Hit, A Review of The Myth of Junk DNA, by Jeffrey Tompkins [Text: Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:22]
The Junk DNA Myth Takes a Well-Deserved Hit, A Review of The Myth of Junk DNA, by W. J. Mencarow [Text: Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:22]
Darwinian Evolution R.I.P. - DNA Study Disproves Darwinism, by Pastor Kevin Swanson
Astonishing DNA Complexity Demolishes Neo-Darwinism, by Alex Williams [Text: Genesis 1:1; 1:27] 

Recommended reading:

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)