Thursday, July 25, 2013

What Do Dr. Tim LaHaye and Glen Beck Have in Common?

I have recommended the Left Behind series (the novels and the books based on them) many times on this site. I usually give a disclaimer, saying that I don't agree with everything in these books/movies. But I like them. They are entertaining. And they do serve a very important purpose: they remind people that our Lord Jesus is going to come back one day.

But something happened yesterday that deeply disturbed me about these books and movies. I was at the library and I saw a novel on the counter titled: Thunder of Heaven: A Joshua Jordan Novel. And in very large print above the title was the name, Tim LaHaye!

I've read most of the Left Behind series (12 novels) as well as the three prequels that were written afterward. And I have watched the Left Behind movies many times (especially the first 2 movies: Left Behind: The Movie and Left Behind 2: Tribulation Force).  So I decided to check this book out.

The first thing I notice about this book was that it was endorsed by Glen Beck. I thought to myself, "Why in the world would Glen Beck be endorsing a book written by Dr. Tim LaHaye. Glen Beck is a Mormon, and the whole Mormon religion is based on the idea that all of the Christian churches became apostate soon after Jesus' disciples died. And it wasn't until Joseph Smith claimed to have a revelation in the early 1800s that the true church (the Mormon church!) was restored again.

But the question that really bothered me was this: Why was Dr. Tim LaHaye having a Mormon endorse his book about the end times? I went to Google and decided to look around. I typed in Tim LaHaye and Glen Beck and found out that Dr. LaHaye had endorsed a novel by Glen Beck on end times in the past! (Source)

There is really only one thing a Christian needs to know about the Mormon religion: "The Mormon God Elohim had sex with Mary." Apparently Dr. LaHaye either does not know this (unlikely!), or he does know it and doesn't care.

Recommended reading:

End Time Delusions: The Rapture, The Antichrist, Israel, and the End of the World, by Steve Wohlberg
The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes, by Dr. Ed Decker
What Mormons Won't Tell You At the Door, by Keith and Lorri MacGregor

Recommended sermon:

When Government Tries to Be God, by Dr. David P. Murray

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)