Saturday, October 12, 2013

Give Me That Old Time Religeon!

"Somewhere, like in Texas, there were preachers who preached it all, from Genesis to Revelation, without blinking an eye. I took great comfort in knowing that, even while I preached a pitiful, compromised, peeled-down gospel, that somewhere good old Bible believing preachers were offering their congregations the unadulterated Word, straight up!" (Source unknown)

Pastor Charles Spurgeon (1834 - 1892) said:

"That old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach today, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again." (from Iain Murray's The Forgotten Spurgeon)

And someone once said:

"It can be exhilarating to belong to a church that is 500 years behind the times and sublimely indifferent to fashion; it is mortifying to belong to a church that is 5 minutes behind the times and huffing and puffing to catch up!"

If you are tired of hearing a "pitiful, compromised, peeled-down gospel," and want to hear the "unadulterated Word, straight up," check out these great sermons:

Recommended reading (my posts):

The best of The Daily Spurgeon
Christianity Declining


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)