Friday, January 25, 2013

Was Abraham Lincoln Opposed to 'The Manifest Destiny?'

I was reading the article, Same Bibles, Different Theologies and Histories, and I came across this small tidbit of information (I'm assuming it is accurate!):

"[Lincoln] adamantly opposed Manifest Destiny and the seizing of half of Mexico's national territory - which helped cause the Civil War.'

I've always been a firm believer that immigration - legal immigration - is what has made America a great country. My grandparents immigrated to America over 100 years ago from Scandinavia, and if they hadn't I would be speaking Norwegian today (not that there is anything wrong with speaking Norwegian!).

But I've often wondered what God thinks about America - both today, with it's 55 million aborted babies to its credit - but also over the past 200 with such monstrous injustices as slavery, making - and breaking - countless treaties with the natives who have occupied this country for centuries prior to the white man's arrival - and yes, even America's acquiring (stealing?) a sizable portion of Mexican Territory after the Mexican American war (1846-1848).

The Bible says:

"The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nation's that forget God." - Psalms 9:17

I originally was going to title this post "America: Love it or Leave It - While You Still Can!" (Check out Country singer Meryl Haggard's old song  Walkin on the Fightin Side of Me). But I think a more godly response is to humbly submit to our leaders - including President Obama - and seek to live quiet lives in obedience to our God.

Please take some time to listen to this important sermon by Dr. David Murray, which was preached right after Barack Obama was first elected President in 2008:

Render to Obama

Note: I still think Obama is a good candidate for the Antichrist (see my post, Is Obama the Antichrist? I Say Yes!)

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)