Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Would Jesus Watch TV?

I saw an advertisement today that read, "Introduce People to Jesus by Turning on Your TV." My first thought was that a better caption would be: "Get to know Jesus better by Opening Your Bible and leaving the TV off!"

Would Jesus watch TV.  I don't know.  I doubt it. I like to believe that our Lord Jesus would be on the Internet. And to the extent that I quote the Bible on this site and provide links to solid gospel sermons (such as How to Benefit from a Funeral, and Compel them to Come In ), I believe Jesus is speaking through My Gospel Project.

But the Internet is like TV on steroids! Would Jesus sit in front of a TV and watch sitcoms or movies showing people getting murdered or committing adultery? I'm sure he would not. The Bible says:

"I will set no wicked thing before my eyes," - Psalms 101:3

"Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it, for it is a cursed thing." - Deuteronomy 7:26

Recommended reading and listening:

Should Christians Watch Movies?  by Dr. David Murry
The Devil's Vision
The Bible or the TV Guide

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)