Thursday, October 17, 2019

J.I. Packer on the Puritans

"Yet we in our day, much as we love to sing Amazing Grace (I suppose because we like the tune), are not inwardly amazed by grace as the Puritans were; it does not startle us that the holy Creator should receive sinners into his company; rather, we take it for granted! 'God will forgive. That's his job!' was the final scoff with witch the French cynic went to meet his Maker." -  Dr. J. I. Packer - A Quest For Godliness - The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

Puritanism Under the Stuarts 1603-1640, by Dr. J. I. Packer
The Elizebethan Settlement, by Dr. J. I. Packer
Elizebethan Puritans, by Dr. J. I. Packer
The Guilt and Danger of Such a Nation as This, Part 1, by John Newton (1725-1807) [Text: Jeremiah 5:29; Proverbs 14:34]
The Guilt and Danger of Such a Nation as This, Part 2, by John Newton (1725-1807) [Text: Isaiah 58:1; Ezekiel 6:11]

John Newton is perhaps best known for giving us the hymn Amazing Grace. Here is a great version of this song in English and Swedish:

Amazing Grace in English and Swedish

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)