Sunday, December 27, 2020

How to Benefit from a Pandemic

 As I was grocery shopping yesterday I saw all of the normal things you'd expect to see in a grocery story: frozen foods, bakery stuff, dairy products, fresh product, and...Personal Protection Kits? (PPKs). I was intrigued by these last items so I took a closer look. Sure enough, all packaged into attractive containers were all the things you need to protect yourself from Coronanvirus: Masks, sanitizer, gloves, maybe one or two other things.

While many small businesses are folding, some companies are prospering, not only in spite of, but because of this pandemic. I did a Google search later on and found a lot of these different "Personal Protection Kits" available for sale. According to one site I came across, 17 Massive Corporations Will Make $85 Billion in Excess Profits During the Pandemic. If you don't want to get your PPKs from your local grocery store, they are available on Amazon (Of course!). 

Business people aren't the only ones scrambling to make a profit off of Coronavirus (See: Jim Bakker Sued by Second State for Selling Fake Coronavirus Cure)

I don't have a problem with people profiting from this crisis. I'm sure if companies could make more money selling Pet Rocks right now, then we'd all be scrambling looking for "PPKs" (while all the stores would be selling Pet Rocks, which you can also find on Amazon!).

But this reminded me of one of my favorite sermons: How to Benefit from a Funeral,  Don't let the title put you off. This is a great gospel sermon. Why don't you take the time to listen to it right now!

The text for this sermon is Ecclesiastes 7:2,3:

"It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better."

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)