Sunday, June 27, 2021

Quotes for Monday, June 28, 2021

 "Some people do not like to hear much of repentance; but I think it so necessary, that if I should die in the pulpit, I should desire to die preaching repentance, and if I should die out of the pulpit I should desire to die practicing it." - Matthew Henry (1662-1714) (Source)

--------------------------------------------------

Here are some sermons on repentance:

Faith and Repentance Inseparable, by Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892) [Text: Mark 1:15]
Pope Apologizes for Calling Sinners to Repentance - Weak Apologies and Weaker Preaching, by Pastor Kevin Swanson
How the Spirit Works True Repentance, by Dr. Joel Beeke [Text: Psalm 51]
Repentance and Faith, by Dr. Alan Cairns [Text: Acts 20:21]

Here are two more quotes...

'Ironically, the same court that decreed that Dred Scott, a slave, was property, had granted to the corporation, a non-man, the sacred rights of citizenship...The Fourteenth Amendment provided that no state shall 'deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law, nor deny any persons within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.' It was to be a shield of freedom to protect the emancipated slave against abuses from the states. But the Fourteenth Amendment soon became a formidable weapon used to subject both black and white to the will of corporate America. We have not often heard that story." With Justice for None - Destroying an American Myth, by Gerry Spence (Attorney)

 "The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach today, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth. I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again." From Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892)

Recommended reading:

The Five Points of Calvinism

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)