Friday, January 23, 2015

Miracle On Voodoo Mountain, A Book Report, Part 1

From time to time I do book reports on this blog. But usually, I read the book first, then do the book report. This time, however, I decided to do something different. I just ordered the following book from Amazon.com:

Miracle On Voodoo Mountain: A Young Woman's Remarkable Story Of Pushing Back The Darkness For The Children Of Haiti, by Megan Boudreaux.

I ordered the Kindle version and it was almost instantly delivered to my laptop!

My heart goes out to the people of Haiti, both because of the poverty of that country, and because of the devastating earthquake that in 2010 killed around 300,000 people (See: Haiti: 5 Years Later Country Still Feeling Aftershocks)

former pastor used to be a missionary to the Dominican Republic, which is also a very poor country.

But I remember him saying one time that the people in his small church - though as poor as poor could be - were some of the happiest people he'd ever met.

Stay tuned for part 2!

Recommended sermon by Rev. Paul Den Butter.  This sermon is an exposition of  Colossians 2:1-15:

1"For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;  
2 That their hearts might be comforted , being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;  
3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.  
4 And this I say , lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.  
5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 
 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:  
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught , abounding therein with thanksgiving.  
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.  
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:  
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.  
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;  
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly , triumphing over them in it."


How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)