Saturday, February 22, 2020

Today in History - February 22

1732 - George Washington, American general and politician, 1st President of the United States is born (died 1799) (Source)

Recommended Video:

The Genius of George Washington




1744 - War of the Austrian Succession: The Battle of Toulon causes several Royal Navy captains to be court-martialed, and the Articles of War to be amended (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

The Colonial Wars of America and Providential Significance, by Historian Bill Potter

1942 - World War II: President Franklin D. Roosevelt orders General Douglas MacArthur out of the Philippines as the Japanese victory becomes inevitable (Source)

Recommended sermons and podcasts:

"Churchill was exhilarated. Six months later, after the first battle of Ypres, with tens of thousands of British soldiers in their graves, he would say to Violet Asquith: 'I think a curse should rest on me - because I am so happy. I know this war is smashing and shattering the lives of thousands every moment and yet - I cannot help it - I enjoy every second.'" -  Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War, by Patrick Buchanan

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)