Sunday, January 13, 2013

"The Things Which Must Soon Come To Pass"

I got my first exposure to Biblical prophecy at an early age. My parents hosted a Bible study at our home and one of the things we studied was Hal Lindsey's best seller, The Late Great Planet Earth.  In the years that followed I tried to read every book I could get that was written by Hal Lindsey. He was convinced that Jesus was coming back soon, and so was I.

Almost 40 years have past since those Bible studies, and I am still convinced our Lord Jesus is coming back soon. While my faith in Jesus Christ remains intact, my faith in Hal Lindsey has faltered (See Hal Lindsey General Teachings/ Activities).

In the 1990s Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins started churning out their Left Behind books (which eventually spawned a multi-multi million dollar Christian media empire).  I think I have read most of the books in this series (12 novels, plus 3 'prequils!').  Very entertaining. And while I don't agree with much of their 'end time' scenario, still I would not want to dissuade anyone from reading these books or watching the movies  (you can watch the movies Left Behind, Left Behind 2 Tribulation Force and Left Behind 3 The World at War for free on YouTube!).

In fact, the scene toward the end of Left Behind 2 Tribulation Force, which I like to call, the Conversion of Ivy, is something every Christian - and especial every non-Christian - should watch!

But if you want to know what the Bible has to say about the events that must soon take place, those leading up to the return of our Lord Jesus, I would like to refer you to the following 2 podcasts and 1 essay:

An Introduction to Amillennialism with Comparison to Other Views, by Rev. William Langerak
The Bible's Identification of the Antichrist, by Rev. William Langerak
A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism, by Prof. David J. Engelsma

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)