Sunday, May 18, 2014

Remembering George Whitefield and John Wesley

One of the things that separates Christians from Roman Catholics is Christians don't pray to dead saints. But that doesn't mean we can't honor their memory by speaking of them - not to them, but of them! - from time to time.

And so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask my readers to reflect on two great  Christian evangelists of the 1700s: George Whitefield (1714 - 1770) and John Wesley (1703 - 1791).  George Whitefield was a Calvinist. John Wesley was an Arminian (a non-Calvinist).  They were close friends and worked together in preaching the gospel until their Calvinist/Non-Calvinist differences caused them to go their separate ways.

Someone once asked George Whitefield if he thought he would see John Wesley in heaven. Mr. Whitefield said. "No. John Wesley will be so close to the throne of glory, and I will be so far away, I will hardly get a glimpse of him."

And that latter day Puritan, Charles Spurgeon (1834 - 1892), of whom I quote extensively on this site, once said of John Wesley: "Though I detest many of the doctrines he preaches, yet for the man himself, I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan."

Please take the time to read A Letter from George Whitefield to the Rev. Mr. John Wesley

You may also wish to check out the following to audio biographies on Sermonaudio.com:

John Wesley: A Man of One Book, by Dr. Edward Panosiam
George Whitefield: Evangelist of the Awakening, by Dr. Steven J. Lawson

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)