Saturday, May 10, 2014

America's Prisoners Cost You $80 Billion a Year

America's Prisoners Cost You $260 a Year - newser.com

"A new report from a branch of the Brookings Institution notes that the US spent $80 billion on incarceration in 2010, an expense that translates into each American paying $260 per year to house our criminals. That's up from $77 per US resident in 1980, reports CBS News. With violent crime rates down, what's behind the increase?"
---------------------------------------------------------------

"As a young lawyer from the books that I'd read,
I thought justice and law were the same.
But I soon put such juvenile thoughts from my head
and I studied the rules of the game." - unknown

There are people who need to be in prison - forever! (like the one Ann Coulter talks about in Lockett & Load). But there are many many more that could - and I believe should - be safely transitioned back into society. Drug offenders are just one category of prisoners that I believe could be released early. I'm not talking about letting drug dealers out early - no, throw the book at them. But the addict whose only crime is that he or she chose to get addicted to heroin or cocaine rather than prescription drugs doesn't need to be in prison!

Ann Coulter says in one of her books: "Of course prison works. It keeps people who commit crimes off the streets because they are in prison. Let's run the numbers: The recidivism rate for armed robbers behind bars is...hmmm, looks like zero percent!" (Source: One of Ann coulter's books!).

While I often agree with Ann Coulter, I think we part company here. The problem with the American judicial system (which still may be the best in the world!) is that it favors those with money and resources. If that were not the case, our President would have been locked up long ago (See: 76 Times Obama's White House Ilegally and Unethically Abused Its Power, as Documented by Sen. Ted Cruz, Should Obama Grant More Pardons?, & Bill Clinton and the Rape that won't Go Away).

Recommended reading:

Should Obama Grant More Pardons? (my post)
Pardon Me? Obama, Bill Ayers, and Crack Cocaine - wnd.com
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in the Crosshairs (my post)
High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton, by Ann Coulter

The Perpetual Prisoner Machine: How America Profits from Crime, by Joel Dyer
Mean Justice: A True Account of a Town's Terror, A Prosecutor's Power, and a Betrayal of Innocence, by Pulitzer Prize winning author, Edward Hume
Pat Boone is a Wanted Man!
The World's Biggest Crooks! - lewrockwell.com
Prisonfellowship.org

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)