Friday, October 13, 2017

Thoughts for Friday, October 13, 2017

 The Oyster

There once was an oyster whose story I'll tell --
Who found that some sand had slipped under his shell.
Just one little grain --but it gave him much pain --
For oysters have feelings --although they're quite plain.

Now did he berate the working of fate --
Which had led him to such a deplorable state?
No! He said to himself, as he lay on the shelf,
"If I can't remove it --I'll try to improve it."

So, the years rolled by as years always do,
And he came to ultimate destiny --stew!
But the small grain of sand which had bothered him so --
Was a beautiful pearl all richly aglow.

Now this tale has a moral for isn't it grand --
What an oyster can do with a morsel of sand?
What couldn't we do -- if we'd only begin
To enrich all those things that get under our skin.
- Anon. (Source)

I like this poem, although I'm not sure how biblical it is. I know it is a favorite of the positive thinking crowd. And while I'm not so sure about The Power of Positive Thinking, I'm pretty sure there is no power in negative thinking!

To find out more about what the Bible has to say on such topics as positive thinking, self love and self esteem, why don't you check out the following sermons and podcasts?

The Dark Side of Self-Esteem, by Pastor Kevin Boling
Satanic Roots of Positive Thinking, by Pastor Joey Faust 

Recommended reading:

Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
Benny Hinn is My Uncle, But Prosperity Preaching Isn't for Me - christianitytoday.com

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)