Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Conscience of a Conservative Christian Blogger

Yesterday I watched the You Tube Video They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll (part 1).  I've seen it before, or at least an earlier version of it. But what really stood out this time was a comment about rap artist Eminem. It was said that Eminem "Wrestles with the ramifications he knows his songs have on his listeners."

Yes, I'm sure Eminem's songs do have "ramifications" on his listeners. Most of the stuff I've heard from him could have been written by Satan himself. And he will be held accountable on the Day of Judgment for those "ramifications."

But as a "Conservative Christian Blogger," I also wrestle with the "ramifications" that my posts may have on my readers. I am not a minister (never been one, never will be one). And so I take a little comfort in the fact that I won't be held to the same standard as those who call themselves ministers (whether they have been called by God to that office or not!). The Bible says:

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."  (James 3:1).

But like Eminem, and all the rest of humanity, the words of my Lord Jesus applied to me as well:

"But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak they shall give account thereof on the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." (Matthew 12:36,37).

I know a day is coming when I will give account of  "every idle word" I post on my blog. And like Eminem, I will have to give an account for the "ramifications" those "idle words" have on  my readers. I like to imagine 3 specific groups of people who may visit this site:

1. The first group is made up of true Christians. Those who love our Lord Jesus with all their heart, who look to him in true faith and trust in his shed blood on the cross as their only hope of salvation.  I like to think that, at least from time to time, people in this group will read something I post (or listen to a sermon or podcast I link to) and say "Amen brother! Well Said."

2. The second group is made up of both non-Christians and Christians alike, but are poles apart from my way of thinking. And when they read my posts, they roll their eyes and reach for their mouse to quickly move on to another web site.

3. The third group is made up of readers who may be emotionally unstable, or very very very angry - for whatever reason. And instead of finding the gospel of my Lord Jesus (by clicking on links like When Government tries to be God and Compel Them to Come In), these people get stirred up by my posts against abortion (Would it Bother Us More If They Used Guns?), against same sex marriage (Why Persecution is coming to the Church in America), against Catholicism (Saving Those Damned Catholics!), against Protestant religious leaders ( Billy Graham, Pope Francis, and the Doctrine of Total Depravity, What Do Dr. Tim LaHaye and Glen Beck Have in Common?), or our president (Is Obama the Anti-Christ? I Say Yes!), or whatever.

This third group concerns me greatly. I am not Amish. I am not a Quaker. But I am totally committed to non-violence. And I would hate to think of one of my readers going out and committing a "Hate Crime" or an act of violence against anyone because of something he (or she) read or heard on this site. My Lord Jesus said - and I have this quote posted on the upper right hand corner of my blog:

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)




How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)