Saturday, November 23, 2013

"We Need to Be Better Than the People We Prosecute!" - U.S. Prosecutor*

First Prosecutor Jailed for Deliberately Convicting an Innocent Man - thenewamerican.com

Excerpt from this article:

"For the first time ever, according to legal experts focused on the subject, a prosecutor who deliberately sent an innocent man to prison by withholding evidence is himself going to be jailed. The case surrounds Michael Morton, a Texas man convicted in 1987 of murdering his wife, and former prosecutor Ken Anderson (shown), the state official responsible for Morton spending 25 years in prison. Anderson withheld crucial evidence in the case as district attorney that could have cleared Morton of the charges."
 ----------------

Poem for today (unknown source)

"As a young lawyer, from the books that I'd read
I thought justice and law were the same.
But I soon put such juvenile thoughts from my head
And I studied the rules of the game!"

I don't believe there are a lot of innocent men and women who get sent to prison, although I do believe there are a lot of guilty people who will never see the inside of a prison, and never be brought to justice - until they stand be for the God who says in the Bible:

"In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ accoring to my gospel." - Romans 2:16

The Bible also says:

"Submit yourself to every ordinance of man, for the Lord's sake." - 1 Peter 2:13

 * Note: I'm not sure where I got the quote I used for the title of this post. I think I heard it on some 'law-and-order-type' show on TV. I'm sure that all prosecutors are better than the people they prosecute (I say that as I'm rolling my eyes!)

Recommended reading:

The Police: Damned if They Do and Damned if They Don't: A Cop Looks at Law Enforcement, by Herbert T. Klein
The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, by John Grisham
Mean Justice: A Town's Terror, A Prosecutor's Power, and the Betrayal of Innocence, by Edward Humes

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)