Monday, November 25, 2013

Atheists Tell Church: "Render to Caesar the Things Which Are Caesars"

Atheist Activists' Big Legal Win Against the IRS Could Spell Major Trouble for Clergy Salaries - theblaze.com*

Excerpt from this article:

"This portion of the tax code says that “a minister of the gospel” — pastors, rabbis, imams and others – does not have to include in gross income the rental value of a home given to him or her as part of compensation. The code also specifies that a rental allowance paid to the individual as part of compensation does not need to be counted toward gross income."
-------------------------------

"If you get up early, work late, and pay your taxes, you will get ahead - if you strike oil!" - J. Paul Getty
--------------------

*I link to stories from time to time that appear on theblaze.com, but I am always a little uneasy when I do it. The Blaze is owned by Glen Beck, who is a Mormon. And the last thing I want my readers to think is that the gospel that I try to proclaim on this web site has anything at all to do with the gospel proclaimed by the Mormon church. Nevertheless, because Glen Beck is willing to report on news stories that the liberal press - and to a lesser extent, even Fox News - won't report on, I check out his site on a regular basis, especially when doing research for my Today in the News feature (see my posts: What Do Dr. Tim LaHaye and Glen Beck Have In Common, and Glen Beck: Impeach Obama and GOP Stars)


Recommended reading (my post):

It's Time for Churches to Give Up Their Tax Exempt Status

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)