Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Costco Sorry About Labeling Bible 'Fiction'

Costco Sorry About Labeling Bible 'Fiction' - newser.com

Excerpt from this article:

"Costco is trying to wriggle out of an inadvertent theological debate it entered this week with an apology. The flap began when a pastor in California's Simi Valley spotted a Bible for sale with a label of "fiction," reports the LA Times."

------------------------

It would have been interesting being a fly on the wall in some of the executive board meetings at Costco this past week! All they are trying to do is make a profit by selling religious books and I'm sure this was not the kind of publicity any of them wanted.

Don't get me wrong. I like Costco. And I want to see them make a profit so they can continue to employ people and pay taxes and be an integral part of this great country. And who knows how many people over the years have went to Costco to buy groceries and other stuff, and 'just by chance' picked up a Bible and thrown it in their cart - so in a sense, Costco (and other stores like it) are doing their part to spread the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But this story does highlight an interesting problem for those who sell 'religious' books. I think most vendors would probably just have a section titled 'religion,' and thus dodge the whole issue of which books are non-fiction and which are fiction. That way it leaves it to the customer to decide which book is fiction and which is non-fiction.

Personally, if it were me, I would probably not even sell religious texts that I believed were fiction (that would include any book that does not agree with the Bible, such as the Book of Mormon, The Koran, The Bhagavad Gita, Science and Health, The Great Controversy, The Watchtower Magazine, books by L. Ron Hubbard, and all books by 'Health-and-Wealth-Prosperity-Preachers.'

But if you take that position - which I probably would - you're going to offend many of your customers who would otherwise be buying milk, and bread, and clothes and tires and whatever else your re store has to sell!

I guess the point of this post is this: Censorship is a bad thing, and the Bible alone is the infallible inerrant Word of God!

---------

Recommended sermon:

When Government Tries to Be God, by Dr. David P. Murray

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)