Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Wealthiest Americans Top Worry [Is Not!] What Will Happen to Them When They Die!

Headlines: The Wealthiest American's Top Worry Is ... - newser.com

Excerpt from this article:

"What's left to worry about when money is no object? Health, apparently. According to a report from two financial-advisory groups, American millionaires with a net worth up to $25 million rank their spouse's health as their number-one concern, Business Insider reports. Those who are merely affluent—with $100,000 to $1 million in net worth—are most concerned about keeping up their current financial position, followed by that of their children and grandchildren."
---------------------------------------------------

The bible tells a story of a rich man who ... well, I'll let you read it for yourself:

"And [Jesus] said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." - Luke 12: 155-21

The Bible also says:

"Go to now ye rich men, weep and howl for the miseries that shall come upon you." - James 5:1

"For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Matthew 16:26

And the late Dr. Martin Lloyd Jones puts it this way:  "Stop and ask yourself, 'what am I doing?' This life has got to end, and your soul will go on. What therefore will happen to you?"

If a wealthy person were ever to ask me for advice (a very unlikely event!), I would recommend that they attend as many funerals as they possibly can - especially open casket ones. And every time they look at that dead body lying there in the box, say to themselves, One day that will be me!

Recommended sermon:

How to Benefit from a funeral, by Dr. David P. Murray

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)