Sunday, February 24, 2013

Are You "Too Stessed to Be Blessed?"

Are you "too blessed to be stressed?" Are you "too anointed to be disappointed?" Do you roll your eyes when you hear worn out Christian cliches? Join the club! But some cliches get worn out because there is a nugget of truth in them, and I'd like to share one of them with you:

"Bibles that are falling apart are usually owned by people who aren't." I believe that came from Pastor Charles Spurgeon (1834 - 1892), although I'm not sure he was the first to say it.

Of course, that cliche doesn't always hold true. There are many people who know the Bible from cover to cover that hate Jesus Christ with a passion. I guess another cliche that balances out this one would be: "You can memorize the whole Bible and not have it!"

As Pastor Spurgeon says in another place, "Except the Holy Ghost illumine us, all the suns in the Milky Way never will!"

Still, I like that cliche: "Bible's that are falling apart are usually owned by people who aren't."  Pastor Spurgeon relates the following story in one of his books (or was it from one of his sermons?):

"When George Peabody was staying at Sir Charles Reed's house, he saw the youngest child bring to his father a large Bible for family prayers. Mr. Peabody said, 'Ah! my boy, you carry the Bible now, but the time is coming when you will find that the Bible must carry you."

Amen!

Why don't you check out the following sermon by Rev. Henk Bergsma:

The Authority of  The Holy Scriptures

Recommended reading (my post):

Is the Bible Infallible?




How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)