Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cold Fusion: Nuclear Energy Without the Drama!

Sorry, but I borrowed the title of this post from chapter in a book I'm reading by Michael Brooks, Ph.D: 13 Things that Don't Make Sense. I like to read books that are over my head from time to time, and this is one of them.

As for fusion, cold or otherwise, everything I know about that topic I learned from this book:

"Nuclear fusion is real enough. Squash two atoms close enough together, and their nuclei join, or fuse, creating one heavy atom, and releasing energy." - Page 58

And that is pretty much the extent of what I know about Cold fusion (or hot fusion, for that matter!). What I really want to talk about in this post isn't cold fusion, but rather Constants in science (see chapter 3 in  13 Things that Don't Make Sense).

Specifically, I want to retell the story of a British astronomer named Arthur Eddington (which I also learned from reading this book!). Arther Eddington published a paper in 1935 titled New Pathways in Science. In this manuscript he tells about 4 "ultimate constants" of nature. These were things that never change.

These constants were:

1. The number of protons in the universe
2. Alpha (read the book!)
3. The ratio of gravitational and electromagnetic forces that pull an electron toward a proton
4. The ratio of the proton's mass to the electron's mass

This was 1935.  Fast forward to 2008 (when Michael Brooks wrote 13 Things that Don't Make Sense), and 2 of these 4 constants are no longer accepted by scientists as 'constant.'

Someone once said it is a good thing that science and the Bible do not agree, or we'd have to get a new Bible every 10 years. I believe that. In spite of all their learning, the most educated scientists that exist today have barely even scratched the surface when it comes to knowing how the universe works.  There really is only one "constant" that we can count on, and it is found in the Bible:

"Forever, O Lord, Thy Word is settled in heaven." - Psalms 119:89

Recommended listening:

The Authority  of Holy Scriptures, by Rev. Henk Bergsma

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)