Friday, March 29, 2013

The Daily Spurgeon - March 29, 2013

Quotes by Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834 - 1892)

I do not believe in the way in which some people pretend to preach the gospel. They have no gospel for sinners as sinners, but only for those who are above the dead level of sinnership. And are technically styled, sensible sinners. Like the priest in [the parable of the Good Samaritan], they see the poor sinner and  they say, 'He is not conscious of his need, we cannot invite him to Christ.' 'He is dead,' they say, 'It is of no use preaching to dead souls;' So they pass by to the other side, keeping close to the elect and quickened, but having nothing whatsoever to say to the dead, lest they should make out Christ to be too gracious, and His mercy to be too free...I have known ministers say, 'Well, you know, we ought to describe the sinner's state, and warn him, but we must not invite him to Christ. Yes gentlemen, you must pass by on the other side, after having looked at him, for on your own confession you have no good news for the poor wretch.  I bless my Lord and Master he has given me a gospel which I can take to dead sinners, a gospel which is available for the vilest of the vile.”(Source: The Forgotten Spurgeon, by Iain Murray, or you can follow the links below to listen to this great book!)

Recommended reading:


You can also listen to an audio recording of The Forgotten Spurgeon on Sermonaudio.com:

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)