Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Daily Spurgeon for Thursday, September 29, 2016

Quotes by Pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834 - 1892)

"If you will taste and see that the Lord is good, I am not afraid but that you shall find that he is not only good  but better than human lips can ever describe. I know not what arguments to use with you. I appeal to your own self interests. Oh my poor friend, would it not be better to be reconciled to the God of heaven than to be his enemy? What are you getting by opposing God? Are you happier for being his enemy? Answer, pleasure seeker; hast thou found delights in that cup? Answer me, self-righteous man: hast thou found rest for the sole of thy foot in all  thy works? Oh, thou that goest about to establish thine own righteousness, I charge thee let conscience speak. Hast thou found it to be a happy path? Ah, my friend, wherefore dost thou spend thy money for that which is not bread, and thy labour for that which satisfieth not; hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. I exhort you by everything that is sacred and solemn, everything that is important and eternal, flee for your lives, look not behind you, stay not in all the plain, stay not until you have proved,  and found an interest in the blood of Jesus Christ, that blood which cleanseth us from all sin." (Source: Spurgeon's sermon, Compel them to Come in)

Further recommended reading & listening:

The Best of The Daily Spurgeon
The Forgotten Spurgeon, by Iain Murray
A Defense of Calvinism - by Charles Spurgeon

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)