Sunday, September 30, 2012

Introducing: Frank Peretti!

One of the things I like to do with my blog is tell people about books I am reading, or have read in the past. One of the Christian authors that I really like is Frank Peretti.  I have read many of his novels: The Oath, The Prophet, Tillie, The Hangman's Curse, The Door in the Dragon's Throat.  All of these are great books.

But by far, the books that I have enjoyed most of all are his two 'Darkness' books: This Present Darkness and the sequel to that wonderful book,  Piercing the Darkness.

I've heard he has been asked to do another sequel to these two books, and he has refused because they create too much interest in demons and the occult. That may be just a rumor, I don't know. But aside from being exceptionally well written and fun to read, these two books give the reader a glimpse of what may be going on in the spirit world.

As we come closer to Halloween I think it is important that Christians be on their guard against the reality of the devil and his demons.  And Frank Peretti's books, This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness, do an excellent job of increase our awareness of the spiritual world. The Bible says:

"Put on the whole armour of God that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities  against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:11,12

Mr. Peretti's books are fiction, although as he will readily tell you, the subject matter is based on Biblical fact. For two excellent sermons that also heighten our awareness of the Devil and his demons, please listen to:

Demonology (Colossians 2:1-15), by Rev. Paul Den Butter  and
Is there a  Devil, by Dan Botterbrodt

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)