Sunday, September 16, 2012

Some Thoughts for Memorial Day

"1-2-3, What are we fighting for? Don't ask me, I don't give a damn. The next stop is Vietnam. 5-6-7 Open up the pearly gates. It ain't no time to wonder why. Yippee! We're all going to die."
-What are we fightin for? by Country Joe and the Fish

I'm not a vet, but I love my country and I've always considered myself to be a patriot.  And so, this being Memorial Day, I would really like to write a soul stirring, flag waving, patriotic tribute to the men and women in America's armed forces.  But I just can't do it.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against the men and women in our military. My father fought in World War II and my grandfather fought in World War I. I have many other relatives who have served in our military - both in peaceful times and when we were at war. In fact, I have a distant relative who was a prisoner of war for several years in Japan during World War II.

I'm proud of those who serve in our military. I'm just not proud of those who send them over to fight in wars which America has no business getting involved with.

Soon we may be at war with Iran. Yes, they may get nuclear weapons one day, and yes maybe we should bomb them back to the stone age. But if we have to do it, let's do it quickly, and then pull out.  And then, after about 2 years of the Iranians killing each other, maybe they will ask America (nicely!) to come in and restore order. That is a military policy I think America should pursue.


 I wonder just how many 'unnecessary wars' America has fought in?  And so on this Memorial Day, I salute our men and women in uniform, along with all those who have served in the past. But I do it reluctantly, wondering along with many others in this country, What are we fighting for?

* I originally titled this post, "God Bless the Army - Especially the Snipers!" (Bumber sticker) -But then I remembered what the Bible says about taking the Lord's name in vain, so I changed it to simply, Some thoughts for Memorial Day.

__________________
Recommended Website

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)