Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Want to Get High!


Imagine for a moment that you were at a public place - say a library - and you saw your 13 year old daughter hanging out with some of her classmates.  You decide to go over and say hi, but as you get closer you overhear the following conversation:

Your daughter: "I want to get high!"
Classmate #1 "Oh, that's right. You've never been high before."
Classmate #2 "I'll get high with you."

I was at the library recently and I overheard that conversation between 3 middle school girls - I'm guessing they were in 7th or 8th grade. I remember when I was that age I was getting high on a regular basis. My drug of choice was gasoline -sniffing or 'huffing' gas was a regular part of my life at that age.

The dangerous thing about drugs is not what it might do to your health. There are many legal things you can do to ruin your health without taking illegal drugs.  You can over eat and get heart disease. You can under eat and starve yourself. You can work yourself to death (literally!). You can speed and drive recklessly in a car or a motorcycle.

The real danger of drugs can be summed up in 9 letters: A.D.D.I.C.T.I.O.N.  Many drugs are addictive and it is the addictive aspect of drugs that make them so dangerous.  The Bible says:

"His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins." Proverbs 5:22

A lot of scientific studies has been done on addictions, and very educated people can go into great detail about the 'biochemical aspects' of this problem. Many of the 12 step programs call their addictions a 'disease.' I don't believe that.

Addictions, are first and foremost, a spiritual problem.  And therefore the solution to addictions must be spiritual as well.

Years ago I was working night shift in the psyche ward at the hospital I had been working at, and I saw a poster on the wall with the poem titled Miss Heroin.  I want to end part one of this series on addictions with this poem:


So now, little man (young lady), you've grown tired of grass
LSD, acid cocaine and hash,
and someone pretending to be a true friend,
said, 'I'll introduce you to Miss Heroin.'

Well honey, before you start fooling with me,
just let me inform you of how it will be.
For I will seduce you and make you my slave
I've sent men (and women) much stronger than you to their grave.

You think you could never become a disgrace
and wind up addicted to poppyseed waste?
So you'll start inhaling me one afternoon,
you'll take me into your arms very soon.

And once I've entered deep down in your veins,
the craving will nearly drive you insane.
You'll swindle your mother and just for a buck,
you'll turn into something vile and corrupt.


You'll mug and you'll steal for my narcotic charm
and feel contentment when I'm in your arms.
The day when you realize the monster you've grown
you'll solemnly promise to leave me alone.

If you think you've got the mystical knack
then sweetie just try getting me off your back.
The vomit, the cramps, your gut tied in knots,
The jangling nerves screaming for just one more shot.

The hot chills and cold sweats and withdrawal pains,
can only be saved by my little white grains.
There's no other way, there's no need to look,
for deep down inside you will know you are hooked.

You'll desperately run to your pusher and then,
you'll welcome me back to your arms once again.
And when you've returned, just as I foretold!
I know that you'll give me your body and soul.

You'll give up your morals your conscience your heart,
and you will be mine until 'death do us part!'
Anonymous

How I Found Christ?

 How I Found Christ? by Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)